Saturday, December 27, 2008

North Shore

Esther and I have gone to a place just south of Gooseberry for our anniversary for a number of years. (We missed this past year, my daughter insisted on me going to her graduation!) I love the North Shore. The sound of the waves pounding on the rocks is truly music to my ears. I have no desire to live on a lake full of boats, skiers, jet skis, etc. If I had a million dollars (hey maybe I could write a song about that, nah it would never work) I would buy a place on the North Shore. Now that is a lake! I wrote this while sitting on the balcony of our room overlooking Lake Superior a couple of years ago. My friend Ben Rossow took this and added a chorus and we performed a song he wrote using these lyrics at an open mic event at a restaurant in town. If I get a decent recording of it I'll post it here.

North Shore

An intimidating presence
White-capped waters are all around
Secrets beneath your murky depths
Yet peace for the soul is found

Cold waters on the rocky shore
As endless waves come dancing in
Constant song of wind and waves
Comforts me and cleanses my sin

Rugged shoreline, majestic trees
Lost in the vastness of this space
Endless horizon of sky and sea
Discovering forgiveness and grace

I'm encaptured by your beauty
Awestruck by your powerful ways
God's presence here is all around
I'm thankful for these North Shore days


Oh Ben's chorus goes like this:
From Duluth on to the Portage
What were you made for
Where did you come from
My beloved North Shore

No comments: