Saturday, December 27, 2008

Communion

Communion for me is the most powerful experience of worship. I always pray before I go up for the bread and wine with an image in mind. I have this image of Jesus from a pic we had in our room in college. We always called it the Jesus after basketball pic. It looked like Jesus just finished playing an outside pick up game of basketball. Well for me anyway. Then I picture this Jesus on the cross, blood dripping down from his nail scarred hands. This blood drops to my blackened, sinful heart. The next image is so powerful for me, the red blood drops on the blackened heart and where it lands turn white. This is how I picture communion the body and blood going into my blackened heart and I leave with a pure, white heart. I've always wanted to get one of my talented artist friends to paint this picture for me. After I commune I always go back to my pew and give thanks for his healing and forgiveness, for my white heart, knowing it will be black again soon. I'm sure many people in church wonder why I'm praying before and after instead of singing the communion songs. It is without question the most significant part of my worship experience.

Communion

Take this body and this blood
Make white my blackened heart
Sharing a meal so simple
And God will do his part

Kneeling upon the altar
Take bread within your hand
A cup of wine to follow
Upon his grace you stand

As you receive the blessing
He pours out all His love
Forgiveness at communion
Peace descends like a dove

No comments: