Saturday, December 27, 2008

Daddy's Girl

This was a poem I wrote for my daughter Rachel for her graduation from high school last May. She has always been my daddy's girl. I have always abhorred those parents that gloat excessively about their kids. I get the unconditional love that a parent has for their children but I always felt that was best expressed to the child not to the world. I must admit I break my own rule on this sometimes. I am very proud of the kind of person Rachel has become. She has a compassion and sense of justice for those who are not as privileged that is uncommon for most of us and especially one as young as she is. I constantly am learning from her. This was her graduation gift and it was as meaningful and valuable as any gift I could possibly buy for her, at least in my eyes.

Daddy's Girl

There are no words to say how proud
There is no song that I can sing
No hug that can last long enough
That tell or show you how I feel

It seems like it was yesterday
You were a babe upon my arms
Then in a classroom down the hall
Each moment special along the way

With your spirit of compassion
And your gentle, giving soul
God has blessed you with gifts to share
Now take these gifts and let your life soar

A small part of life behind you
So many great journeys ahead
My prayers and thoughts will be with you
Forever you will be Daddy's Girl

No comments: