Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Random Smattering of Thoughts

This will truly be a random smattering thoughts. Hopefully something here will connect with your inner soul or maybe it will be well...just a random smattering of thoughts.

Blessings
I started this week perseverating (my new favorite word) on the craziness of the situation that is my job. It was bothering me and I found myself bogged down in the ridiculous pieces that exist there. Now, there is reason to be confused, frustrated, uncomfortable, etc. but I was letting it dominate my demeanor and attitude. While driving to work on Tuesday I decided I needed to change my focus and started listing my blessings. I actually started listing the blessings on a piece of paper. Physical evidence of all I have to be thankful about and let me tell you there is much to be rejoicing over. What was truly amazing was the difference it made for my day and week. It changed my whole week. The focus was on all that was good around me and I was showered with even more blessings. Perhaps we all need to take a step back from time to time and just physically acknowledge all we have to be thankful for. When you are having one of those days or weeks give it a try. We all have those moments.

Forgiveness Pt. 2
While chatting with a friend about some things she shared this, "I feel like I am being judged. Also I feel lately my ghosts in my closet are telling me I am not worthy of church. Yes, that's wrong I know. I can't even begin to go there, forgiveness is hard to grant to myself." I have to say I have had those same feelings at different times in life and maybe still do struggle with the being judged and not forgiving myself stuff.

Anyway, here is my response and I think it sums up the forgiveness part much better than my blog a week or two ago:

That all makes sense, actually. I have some of that going on also. This old fart isn't judging you and feels you are very worthy. Those who feel that others are not worthy are the ones who aren't. The beauty of forgiveness is it doesn't come from us, it comes from God. We suck at it. Now I know we have to reach a point in our lives where we accept that forgiveness. I think the two toughest parts of forgiveness are being able to forgive others and being able to accept forgiveness. The easy part is asking for forgiveness in my mind. I believe our friendship is a great example of doing all the hard stuff in forgiveness.

It's tough to get rid of those ghosts isn't it? I wish I had the magic answer for that. I don't know if this helps or eases the pain or forgiveness but please know my view of you is as unconditional as I can humanly be. I don't want you perfect and certainly can't be judging anyone with my own ghosts. Doesn't make you or me a bad person, makes us human and real which is exactly the people Jesus hung with. You are fully accepted and loved by me just as you are, warts and all.

Okay, I'm done. Just want you to know that no matter, you have someone.

I think, at least in words, that is the best I can explain my view of grace and forgiveness.

Woo Hoo!
On Friday I had my exit interview for my principal's license. It went exceptionally well and I am very excited and relieved to be done. This has been a long 4 year journey for me. Thousands of others have gone before me and it's not like I cured cancer but because of all the trials along this journey this was extra special for me. Who knows if it will actually lead to an administrative position but at least I have a chance and I am going to do all I can to help it happen God willing. Thanks to Esther and the girls for putting up with me and supporting me throughout all this. Three years ago I was out of education and ready to give up and now I'm as passionate and excited as I've ever been about the power of education and the opportunity to someday be a leader of a building where that is the purpose of its existence.

The Do Something Walk - A Walk to Make a Difference for the Homeless
I don't have all the details worked out yet but from July 17-27 I am going to walk across the state of Minnesota to raise money and awareness for homelessness. This is in response to a challenge put forth by one of the young people in our youth group at church. We were chatting about homelessness and this young lady stepped up and said, "Are we just going to talk about it or are going to do something about?" So we started doing something about it, we started a coffeehouse where we are raising money and goods for a homeless shelter and food pantry. Now the youth group is heading out for a mission trip/youth gathering trip to New Orleans during the same days of this walk and I decided I needed to step up and do something.

There are approximately 9,000 homeless in Minnesota any given night and approximately 3,000 of those are kids. The literacy rates are alarming amongst those folks and it is my hope to tie in the fundraising to providing some funding for tutoring and mentors for the education piece. I am still working with a couple of agencies to get it all set up and have a website for people to donate to. I'll give you the details when I have them. Meanwhile, please pray that it will all come together and that I can make it! If you are not the praying type then do what you can to send good karma or good luck or best wishes or whatever it is you think I need. Also give thanks that I have a wife who didn't look at me like I was crazy when I mentioned this idea. (Yes I get the you're crazy look plenty of other times.) I have received a lot of positive feedback about this and I'm honestly very excited about it. It combines many of my passions: homeless, walking, music, education, and exploring. I admit I've had dreams of the scene from Forest Gump where he is running across the country and thousands end up joining him along the way but then I remember how much I hate large groups and it turns into a nightmare so I'm looking forward to the alone time! More later, please pray!

No comments: