Friday, May 23, 2008

Third Day Reflections - Pt. 1

I have had this one brewing for a couple of days. I was going to get political for a moment but instead have decided to share some reflections on some songs by my favorite group for the moment Third Day. They have been cranked in my car the past couple of days. I'm sure everyone on Hwy 65 thinks I'm nuts as I rock my way to school and home!

This round will focus on their album entitled "Wire". I like the style of music and the lead singer's voice a great deal. But mostly I appreciate and feel ministered to by the lyrical content of their songs. It is typical for Christian bands to focus on self as I guess it is for all of us. I appreciate that Third Day looks at our own inadequacies and then puts the focus on what God has done and how His grace and love is poured out on us even though we are undeserving.

In the song Innocent they really hit on the freedom that comes from grace and forgiveness. It was a pertinent song for me based on my own personal experiences and struggles the past couple of years. Here are the lyrics:

Innocent
It seemed like I had run out of second chances

And they sentenced me to die
And I was just like a dead man walking
I was running out of time

But you came to me and opened my eyes
You gave me a brand new life

I am innocent and I have been set free
I no longer have chains around my feet
And no matter where I go or what they say
I am innocent

Many years have passed since the day that I met you

But your words are still the same
And every time I find myself with joy or sadness
I am calling out your name

‘Cause you came to me and opened my eyes
You gave to me a brand new life

The bold, italicized chorus is what it is all about. Being free enough to live in that grace and forgiveness and not care about what others think or say. I must admit that while I know God has forgiven me for my multitude of shortcomings, I don't always take that to heart. Those chains around my feet keep me from being able to run with these gifts. My own selfishness and pride are the main stumbling blocks to being released from these chains. If we truly believe in this death, resurrection, forgiveness as we confess to in our faith then we are forgiven. No ifs, and or buts. It is done, I can't earn it, can't buy it, can't make it happen. It is, I am, and always will be. What a release, what freedom, what overwhelming joy that should bring!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi David - I did not know you had this site. I hope your school year goes well.

j.