Sunday, April 19, 2009

Listen

Lately, I've decided I need to take time to listen. I am a visual learner and a very visual person in general. I think most of my colleagues would define me as perceptive because of my visual dexterity (if there is such a thing). This gift is what got me through college the first time (it certainly wasn't my study habits) as I could remember what was on a chalkboard (yes this dates me I know) from the class. I'm thankful for this gift but have found the last couple of weeks that I need to take time to listen.

I am also a person who processes ideas and thoughts out loud many times. I need to talk it out and hear it before I can put it into a well-thought out idea. I'm used to talking or singing out loud to help me work through things. But the time has come to shut up and listen.

There have been some situations in my life lately that have required me taking the time to listen. In these circumstances I certainly have wanted to grab others and share my side of the story, the rest of the story if you will. I wanted others to know for some reason but the reality is it wasn't an action that would fix anything or make anyone feel better. It wasn't going to be done out of love but out of selfishness. In fact if I had talked more it would make these situations worse in many ways. So I have learned and experienced that I needed to take time to simply listen.

During this time of the year around our house the swamps are full of frogs. In the evening there is a cacophony of sound that is deafening as you walk around our land. I love it. The other night, the stars were filling the sky and this incredible rock concert volume of natural sounds surrounded the evening air. It was powerful and yet peaceful at the same time. While going for my walks each day I've enjoyed hearing the sounds of the geese, ducks, robins, red-winged blackbirds and so many other varieties of wild life. I have also taken time to listen closer to my music. Closer to the music and the lyrics to really hear the message, feel the message as I listened.

Along with being more mindful of all that nature and music have to listen to, I've tried to be a better listener with friends and family. Less interruptions, less finishing others thoughts but truly just listening. I am surrounded by so many wise and wonderful people and I needed to and have been spending more time soaking it all in and learning. I have also consciously decided to take time to just be by myself and listen. This has at times been lonely I won't lie. As I'm driving home there are many times I wanted to grab my phone and talk with a friend about different things but decided I would just listen. This has been a real time of growth for me and I have come to cherish that time to listen.

I have a professional decision to make in the next week and a half. Now I am very thankful that I do have a job for next year and have many friends who don't have that security. But I do have a decision to make. There are a number of personal and professional factors involved in this decision and I was getting a bit stressed over it based on these factors. Finally, I listened. I need to listen to God's call. The correct choice for me, and I'm thankful I have a choice, is going to be revealed to me not by my own worrying or talking, but by what I am called to be. So I am taking time to listen to God. This decision needs to be one where I listen and don't force or talk my way through it.

My other situations are no different. I need to listen, to my God, my Creator, my Peacemaker and let Him be a reconciler, healer and guide. If I do it myself with my words then it will certainly fail.

I have to tell you this period of time of listening has been incredibly powerful. It has refocused me and put my focus and visions in the proper place. Not everything has been answered and sometimes there is noise that gets in the way. I have become a believer in listening and need to continue to take time to grow in this way. I am thankful for the visual gifts but God has called me to make a difference and I can only be what I am called to be if I am perceptive AND listen.

My challenge to you this week, take time to just listen. Don't talk over it, through it or let anything interfere, just listen. Last piece here is another lyric from Third Day. I think all of this we are talking about with listening really comes down to just being yourself and letting God do His work with you by listening and then responding to that call.

THIS IS WHO I AM - THIRD DAY

I'm a son of a good man

I'm the child of an angel
I'm the brother of a wild one
And I'm looking for direction
I'm the lover of a beauty
I'm the father of blessings
I'm a singer of a love song
But is that all I'm good for

This is who I am
This is who I am
So take me and make me something so much more
This is who I am
This is who I am
So change me and make me someone better than before

I'm a saint and a sinner
I'm a lover and a fighter
I'm a true believer, with great desire
I'm a preacher of grace, prophet of love, teacher of truth
I've fallen down so many times
But here I stand in front of you

Take me as I am
But please don't leave me that way
'Cause I know that you can make me better than I am today

No comments: